Monday, June 6, 2011

About Me

Welcome - I'm Jen and I'm hoping that by having this blog it will force me to write more about our days and about our homeschooling adventures.

Here's my family

BigE - My husband and best friend. He's the one that helps keep me from falling apart after a long day. We met in college and have been married 8 years.

D - 6 year old son. He's my little engineer. He likes to know how things work, how to do things, but always wants directions. He doesn't like to be very creative when it comes to drawing or building with Legos. He always wants instructions. He loves to move around so we try to do some of our school work while running around the yard or house.

S - 3.5 year old daughter. She's a stinker! She is very smart but won't let you see it unless it is on her terms. She is very stubborn just like her mommy and she knows how to push buttons. She is very sweet and loves all things princesses and baby dolls, but at the same time you will find her digging worms in the yard with the boys.

R - 2 year old son. My wild child! R is my destroyer. He can make a mess in an instant and is always into trouble. He loves that he is almost as big as his big sister and uses that to his advantage. I'm often hearing S scream that R is on her and won't let her up. He loves to tag along and pretend that he is doing school with the big kids... for about 2 minutes.

E - 8 month old son. My clingy one. Doesn't sleep well, doesn't like to be away from mommy, finally getting happy now that he can crawl. Thinks the world revolves around him!


Why we are homeschooling -

18 months ago when it was time to start looking at schools for D to go to Kindergarten I wasn't impressed at anything I was finding. The local catholic school K teacher told me that since D was so far advanced that she would just put him in front of a computer when he was bored. The public schools are over crowded and just not the right place for him. At 4.5 he was already reading simple CVC words and writing them on the backs of his letter worksheets at the church preK we were sending him too. He was coming home from there bored asking to learn more at home. So we decided to keep him home for K and see how it went. The year went great and D loved being home. So we decided to stay home for a couple more years. D may stay home forever, he may go back to school some year. For now we are taking it one year at a time and doing whatever we think is best for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment